The surroundings of Hotel Atlanta Augustus
Hotel Atlanta Augustus will be your starting point to enjoy the main attractions of Lido, Venice and other islands. Hotel Atlanta Augustus is located right in the centre of the island of Venice Lido, a few metres away from the stop of the water-buses connecting to Venice or Murano, Burano and Torcello islands.
Basilica and Piazza San Marco
The heart of the city of Venice is Piazza San Marco, by definition, the only one that deserves the name of piazza (square): squares in Venice are in fact called “campi” or “campielli”. The Basilica di San Marco appears in the centre of the square, gold-coloured and covered with mosaics that tell the story of Venice, together with wonderful bas-reliefs depicting the months of the year. Above the main door, the four bronze horses from Constantinople, (these are copies: the originals are in the museum of San Marco) reminiscent of the Fourth Crusade in 1204. The shape of a Greek cross is dominated by five huge domes. It is the third Basilica of San Marco that stands in this place: the first two were destroyed. It seems that this version was inspired by the Church of the Holy Apostles in Constantinople. The interior is covered with mosaics on gold background depicting passages from the Bible and allegorical scenes. Originally, it was the chapel of the Doges of the Republic of Venice.
The Palazzo Ducale is located next to the Basilica: the Porta della Carta, wonderful work by Bartolomeo Bon, which is the exit of the Museum of Palazzo Ducale unites these two buildings. The main entrance is on the side that faces the lagoon. The Palazzo Ducale was built in the fifteenth century with Istrian marble and it was the head of the Government of the Serenissima. Here stood a castle, then set on fire to get out Peter IV Candiano who had found refuge during a riot. Now the palace has become a museum, with works of the best Venetian artists; the Sansovino Library, located inside offers temporary exhibitions. You can see the Hall of the Greater Council, which for centuries had been the largest seat of government of the world, the Bridge of Sighs, the prisons and the Piombi. The bell tower of San Marco, built in 1173 as a lighthouse for sailors stands opposite to the Palazzo Ducale. It was restored by Bartolomeo Bon in the fifteenth century. After collapsing on 14th July 1902 it was entirely rebuilt. The Loggetta in red marble of Verona is a work by Jacopo Sansovino, and on it you can admire the bas-reliefs depicting allegories with enterprises of the Republic of Venice.
Ponte dei Sospiri
This characteristic bridge of Venice, located just a short distance from Piazza San Marco, crosses the Rio di Palazzo connecting by a double passage the Palazzo Ducale to the Prigioni Nove. It was the first building in the world built specifically to be a prison. It was meant to be a transition for inmates to be judged from prisons to the offices of the Inquisitors of State.
Teatro la Fenice
Teatro La Fenice is the largest opera house in Venice. Often destroyed by fire and rebuilt, it is the site of an important opera season and of the International Festival of contemporary music. It was designed in 1790 by Gian Antonio Selva for a company of box holders of the aristocracy of Venice. La Fenice was built rapidly despite the many controversies about its location and its rationalist and neo-classical structure.
Chiesa di San Zaccaria
It is a religious building situated not far away from San Marco, in the district of Castello, in the square that takes its name. This ancient church dates back to the ninth century. Inside the tombs of many doges and works of great value.
Basilica di San Giovanni e Paolo
The Basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (San Zanipolo in Venetian dialect) is one of the most impressive medieval religious buildings of Venice, together with the Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari. It is considered the Pantheon of Venice because of the many Venetian Doges and other important figures buried there from the thirteenth century. This church is in the district of Castello.
Ponte di Rialto
The Ponte di Rialto is another symbol of the city: it was built in 1591 by Antonio Da Ponte. It was the only way to cross the Grand Canal on foot: in fact, it was the only bridge until 1854, when the Ponte dell’Accademia was built. On both sides of the central luxury shops and at the end of the bridge, in the district of San Polo, the picturesque fish market and the church of San Giacomo di Rialto.